Monday, April 13, 2009

Fried Chops with Country-Style Gravy

The fried chops are fried chops, but I crushed 4 oz. of Ritz crackers and threw them in with 1 c. of flour. I seasoned them with garlic powder and seasoning salt, dipped them in a mixture of egg and canned milk (1/4 c.), then covered them with the cracker/flour mix.
The gravy is also a very simple gravy, but it's my favorite part of this dish. The recipe makes a LOT of gravy, but I only wanted about 1/2 that amount. After pouring in the first can of milk, I realized it was going to be too much; so, instead of using 4 cans of milk, which I didn't have anyway, I dumped out half of what I had made and then added 3/4 of another can of milk. I sprinkled about 1 tsp. salt, threw in a dash of onion salt and used as much black pepper as I thought would be good. It was delicious :)
So, in the future, I think I'll use...2 tbs. vegetable oil, 1/4 c. flour, and 1 c. of milk!
Here's the original recipe for the gravy ("Mom's Country Gravy" from allrecipes.com):
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 cups milk
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until thickened. If the gravy becomes too thick, you may thin it with a little more milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment